10-Minute Workout You Can Do Anywhere
Fall is just around the corner and that relaxed, summer routine has come and gone. I know right. How did summer come and go so quickly? Things may be slightly hectic as you’re easing into your new routine. If you find yourself lacking in the exercise department, have no fear. We’ve got a 10-minute workout routine for you + tips to help keep you in shape until you get a regular routine going strong!
The 10-Minute Workout
For this workout, no weights or machines are needed. You can do it basically anywhere at any time. This HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout will target key muscles groups and burn calories. This is a QUICK, FAST, and EFFECTIVE workout that literally takes 10 minutes.
WHAT TO DO
Do each exercise at HIGH INTENSITY for 45 seconds followed by 15 seconds of rest. And yes, you can do anything for 45 seconds so power it up. It’s 10 minutes total… you can do it!
- Mountain climbers
- Push Ups
- Abdominal crunches
- Jump Squats (up and back)
- Triceps Dips
- High Knees
Mountain Climbers example: bring up the intensity to a faster pace!
If you have questions about how to do any of the other exercises, visit the how-to videos here. Click the link, and scroll down to the bottom.
What are you TRULY getting out of this HIIT Workout?
The key to shedding the most weight, is the one that burns the most calories. The best cardio workout is the one that has an “after burn effect“. This workout is a high interval style workout. You alternate between short bursts of high intensity work followed by brief recovery. This is where the “after burn effect” comes in. After you complete this exercise you will experience a faster metabolic rate for up to four hours after your session. Meaning, you’ll continue to those burn calories.
Why you are burning more?
When you raise your heart rate into the higher end of your target zone, the extra calories you burn up continues to bring your heart rate and muscle activity back to normal and metabolize the lactic acid you have created. Since this workout can be hard on your body, it’s important to only do it 2-3 times a week so your body can recover. Consider doing yoga or pilates in between HIIT sessions.
So you got the workout, but your body needs fuel before any of the action can happen. We’ve got a list of the best vegan meals to fuel your body before you tackle an awesome workout!
- Oatmeal (+ Protein Powder) – Oatmeal is a great option because it packs fiber and is easy to customize. Add sliced fruit, nuts or seeds like ground flax or chia seeds + even your favorite clean protein powder. One protein powder we love is the Health Warrior Superfood Protein Powder.
2. Apple or Banana with Nut Butter – The fruit adds healthy carbs and the nut butter provides healthy fats + protein. We like NuttZo nut + seed butters.
3. Dates – For quick energy before a workout, your body needs glucose for fuel and dates pack a lot of it. The best way to eat a date is to get fresh, medjool dates in bulk. You can also get your date fix in a LARABAR.
4. Gluten Free Toast with Avocado + Egg – The egg + avocado offers healthy fats and protein while the GF toast provides carbs and fiber to help you through that workout.
Post Workout Fuel
It’s important to re-fuel your body following your workout. The window to provide necessary nutrients is 15-60 minutes after your workout. Think along the same lines as your pre workout fuel but also make sure you’re replenishing your body with fluids so drink up that H2O.
Incorporating Yoga for Repair On Off Days
Here’s what it will do for your body:
- Improve posture – many poses help improve posture and help relieve pain in the neck and lower back
- Increase flexibility – yoga helps stretch key muscles out
- Boost metabolism – yoga helps retain vitality and improves the metabolism of your body along with increased blood flow
- Power your immune system – there are many different poses and relaxation techniques that power our body to aid in fighting off pathogens
Okay, so now there’s no excuse! Utilize this 10 Minute Workout anytime you want to squeeze in a quickie workout to get your body moving before a long day. You got this!