How To Make A Healthy Smoothie
Not all smoothies are created equal. There are certain tips and tricks to make a healthy smoothie. Whether you are blending up a green smoothie or an avocado smoothie, make sure you remember these simple ideas to keep it lean!
Juicing vs. smoothies
So we know fruits and veggies are good for us, and we all want to eat more of them. We also know that drinking your fruits and veggies is a great way to quickly get that boost in your diet. But what's REALLY better - juicing or smoothies?
- Juices: Pressed fruits and vegetables, where the pulp of the produce is separated from the juice.
- Smoothies: Smoothies are made by blending whole fruits and vegetables, so none of the valuable and filling fiber gets lost.
Many studies have shown that when blended, fruit smoothies have more antioxidants than juicing the same ingredients. Why? Because those valuable antioxidants are found mostly in the fibrous fruit membranes.
Plus, when you blend the pulp, skin and fiber in a fresh smoothie, the volume of your drink is higher, making you feel fuller, more satisfied.
It’s also very easy to over-consume juices, because you won't feel as full. This means intaking more calories (especially once you realize that some juices have more sugar than soda!).
Popular Healthy Smoothie Ingredients
So you want to make a smoothie, and create a morning smoothie routine? Great! But how do you make sure the smoothie you're making is healthy? Watch your ingredients! Not all smoothie ingredients are created equal, and choosing the correct ingredients for a healthy smoothie (of choosing a smoothie kit with whole, natural quality ingredients) is key. Here are some of the best healthy smoothie ingredients:
- Fruits: Berries, banana, apple, peach, mango, and pineapple.
- Vegetables: Kale, spinach, arugula, wheatgrass, microgreens, avocado, cucumber, beetroot, cauliflower, and carrots.
- Nuts and seeds: Almond butter, peanut butter, walnut butter, sunflower seed butter, chia seeds, hemp seeds, or flax meal.
- Herbs and spices: Ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, parsley, and basil.
- Nutritional and herbal supplements: Spirulina, bee pollen, matcha powder, protein powder, and powdered vitamin or mineral supplements.
- Liquids: Water, fruit juice, vegetable juice, milk, non-dairy milk, coconut water, iced tea, and cold brew coffee.
- Sweeteners: Maple syrup, raw sugar, honey, pitted dates, simple syrup, fruit juice concentrates, banana.
Just remember that additions like fruit juice, milk, or sweeteners can also add calories and sugar, so tread carefully, and your morning smoothie routine will keep your fueled and full until lunch!
What are the Benefits of Smoothies?
More than just tasting good, smoothies can have tons of potential benefits to your lifestyle!
- Nutrient rich: Smoothies combine many delicious and nutrient-dense foods into a single, easy-to-drink meal replacement. This means you get a ton of fiber, protein, vitamins & minerals in each glass!
- Filling: As we touched on before, smoothies are more filling than simple juices, due to the fiber and plant membranes incorporated into the drink (or bowl!) itself.
- Easy to take on the go: What's easier to do - eat on the go or drink? Drinking is always easier! There's nothing simpler than filling your to-go tumbler and sipping your smoothie on the go!
- Subdue food cravings: Fiber and protein help keep you fuller, longer, meaning you'll be less likely to snack between meals.
- Tasty: Smoothies taste GREAT! Delicious fruits and veggies all blended together - what's not to love?
The bottom line is that smoothies can be a great meal replacement or healthy snack, and one you won't regret!
Benefits of Avocado Smoothies
First of all, DON'T get caught up in the avocado flavor! As someone who hasn't always been in love with the flavor of avocado (that's since changed) I get why someone might not want to add avocado to a smoothie. But avocado can be one of the hands-down best smoothie ingredients, and most nutritious.
Avocado is packed with natural plant-based protein and healthy fats, making it a great way to add some filling protein to your smoothie blends. And it's creamy texture makes for a rich, soft smoothie texture.
Still need convincing? Avocado doesn't have to only taste "green"! For example, our keto chocolate chai smoothie kit is a delicious, rich chocolate-spiked smoothie PACKED with avocado, and you literally would never know it unless I told you! You can try all of our Keto smoothies with the Blendtopia Keto Smoothie Varity Box.
Benefits of Green Smoothies
Green smoothies are some of the best, most nutritious options for smoothies. Incorporating veggies (and fruits like avocado) into a smoothie boosts its nutritional value but can also help cleanse, detox and revitalize our bodies.
Green smoothies are also packed with fiber, which helps lower cholesterol and glucose levels, keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Plus, they can help regulate your body's cleansing processes. Green smoothies are also a tasty way to get a strong dose of fruits and veggies, which provide vital nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, folate and potassium.
Not sure how to make a great green smoothie? Blendtopia offers not just one, but FOUR pre-made green smoothie kits options to get you started, all of which are perfectly portioned to offer you a balance, healthy (and delicious) green smoothie with minimal effort:
Benefits of Immune system smoothies
The other benefit of healthy, balanced smoothie is the immune system boost! Especially after the events of the last year, immune-boosting properties are on everyone's mind. Smoothies are the perfect way to add an extra boost to your immunity. Ingredients like goji berries, blueberries, strawberries and flax help keep your body healthy and thriving.
Here are some great smoothie ingredients that have tons of great benefits for your immune system:
- Sliced bananas: High in potassium, which helps the body control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Figs: High in natural sugars, minerals, and soluble fiber.
- Kiwi: High in Vitamin C and dietary fiber, kiwi also can support heart health, digestive health, and immunity.
- Melon: Contains vitamin C, which boosts your immune system, as well as gives you healthy skin, strengthens tissues, and promotes healthy brain function.
- mango: Packed With Nutrients, mangos are also high in antioxidants. They also help boost immunity, supports heart health, improve hair + skin health, and might even help lower your risk of cancers!
- Pineapple: May help reduce inflammation and promote healthy tissue growth
- Peaches: Rich in vitamin A, peaches help protect your body from lung and oral cancers. They also contain potassium, fluoride, and iron.
- Pomegranate seeds: Also high in antioxidants!
The bottom line? Eating more fruits and veggies - no matter what - is only going to be GREAT for your body. The more healthy, whole ingredients you add to any smoothie, the better it will be for your body, and your immune system! And if you don't want to go through the hassle of making your own...Blendtopia has a Immunity smoothie kit to make your life even easier!
- Smoothies: A Nutrient-Rich Meal Replacement
- Superfood Smoothie Pops: A Win for Both Kids and Adults
- The BEST Smoothie Bowl Toppings
- 2 Keto-Friendly Smoothie Recipes You'll LOVE
- Sunrise Smoothie Bowl
- Green Smoothies for Weight Loss
- Healthy Smoothies for Kids
What are your favorite smoothie ingredients? Leave your comments below! Be sure to come follow Blendtopia on Facebook to stay connected, and follow us on Pinterest to get even more ideas for maintaining our mental, physical, and emotional wellness.