Vegan Superfood Mocha Ice Cream
Founder, Tiffany Taylor, shares her favorite morning cup of joe recipe and also shares a recipe on how to turn her mocha into vegan ice cream for a cool summer treat.
Let’s start with the mocha. It’s certainly no ordinary cup of coffee. In Tiffany’s world, everything is powered by superfoods. Why? Because superfoods are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Nourishing your body is the key to health, wellness, vitality and longevity. The more time you spend looking inward at what you’re consuming, the more aware you’ll become of the benefits and effects it’s having on your body. Food truly is medicine!
This recipe takes your morning cup of coffee to an entirely new level. It’s not only high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and healthy fats (thank you coconut milk powder and MCT oil) but is also high in magnesium and iron.
12 oz hot black coffee
2 heaping tsp mocha superfood blend (see recipe below)
1-2 tsp coconut palm sugar – sweeten to taste
splash of MCT oil
Simply add all ingredients to your black coffee & voila.
Mocha Superfood Blend
Batch blend and keep in an air-tight glass container. This will keep for months.
Mix together very well, breaking up any clumps of coconut milk powder, etc.
Vegan Superfood Mocha Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart; serves 6 to 8
Now that you know how to make your superfood mocha, let’s jump to the coconut milk based ice cream. There’s nothing better than coffee ice cream powered by superfoods. Remember, you’ll need an ice cream maker for this recipe. There are many affordable ones to choose from but make sure to read the reviews so that you get a good one!
NOTE: You’ll need to freeze the ice cream machine bowl for at LEAST 24 HOURS PRIOR TO CHURNING YOUR ICE CREAM.
12 oz superfood mocha
2 – 13 to 15 oz cans of full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar to sweeten – this is a low glycemic option
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp cornstarch or 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
Optional extras: chopped nuts, cacao nibs, etc.
- Make sure the ice cream machine bowl is frozen. At least 24 hours before you plan to churn the ice cream.
- Shake the coconut milk. Cans of coconut milk separate into a thick, creamy layer and a thin watery layer on the shelf. Before opening them, shake the cans of coconut milk thoroughly to incorporate the layers.
- Set aside 1/2 cup coconut milk. Open the cans of coconut milk. Measure 1/2 cup and set this aside in a small bowl.
- Pour the coconut milk + superfood mocha into a saucepan. Pour the remaining coconut milk into a 2-quart saucepan along with your 12 oz superfood mocha.
- Add the coconut palm sugar and salt. Add the sweetener and salt.
- Warm the coconut milk superfood mixture. Warm the coconut milk superfood mixture over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sweetener has completely dissolved into the coconut milk, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk the starch into the reserved coconut milk. Add the starch to the reserved 1/2 cup coconut milk and whisk until the starch is totally dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the coconut milk. While whisking, pour the cornstarch mixture into the warm coconut milk while whisking gently. This is your ice cream base.
- Heat the ice cream base until thickened. Increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the base has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, 6 to 8 minutes. Do not allow the base to come to a boil.
- Chill the base. Pour the base into a shallow container. Let the base cool slightly on the counter so it’s not hot when you put it in the refrigerator. Before refrigerating, press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface — this coconut milk base doesn’t form a skin quite as badly as a milk-and-egg base, but it doesn’t hurt! Cover the container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Begin churning. Your base should be completely chilled and slightly pudding-like in texture. Pour the base into the ice cream machine and begin churning.
- Churn until the consistency of soft-serve. Churn the ice cream until it thickens considerably and is about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Depending on your machine, this could take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes — keep an eye on it! If you want to add any extras, add them now and churn a few more seconds until they are fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a freezer container. Scrape the ice cream into a freezer container. Press a piece of parchment or wax paper against the surface to prevent ice crystals from forming. Seal the container.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours. Freeze for at least 4 hours to harden the ice cream.
- Thaw slightly before serving. If your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it thaw a few minutes on the counter before scooping. Enjoy!
Why Not Make It a Vegan Milkshake?!
If you loved this recipe, let us know! We always love hearing from you and we ALWAYS love powering you up with superfoods to SUPERCHARGE YOUR LIFE.